top of page

Care Home Fees

Care home fees in England can vary substantially from provider to provider and from location to location, and securing care home funding can sometimes appear a rather daunting task. Nevertheless, we all want the best that we can afford – whether for ourselves or a loved one.


Understanding whether you’re entitled to care can seem complicated. But don’t worry, we’re here to help. With 15 years experience as a care home provider, we have put together the following information which outlines some key points about paying for your care. After reading the information ahead we encourage you to seek further specialist advice in order to fully understand what steps you need to take.



The cost of living in a care home varies. It depends on things like:

  • the level and type of care you need (e.g. residential or dementia)

  • the location of the home and its facilities

  • the type of private bedroom you choose


If you’d like to find out the costs of any of our homes, you’re welcome to call and speak to the care home manager.


When you live in one of our homes, your fees include:

  • 24-hour personalised care

  • private, furnished bedrooms

  • all home cooked meals and refreshments

  • a range of activities and events

  • a full laundry service

  • a daily cleaning service

  • bed linen and towels

  • utility bills

  • council tax


Additional treatments and services may cost more. These include:

  • physiotherapy

  • chiropody

  • speech therapy

  • occupational therapy

  • hairdressing

  • aromatherapy


Paying for Fees

It is common now for older people in care homes to contribute towards the cost of their care. Some people have the resources to pay for their care in full, whilst others make means-tested contributions. The government sets national limits that determine eligibility for funding assistance. These can be subject to change, so it’s always advisable to check the current figures when choosing a care home.


Self Funding

Those who are able to pay for their own care are free to contact care homes directly. Once a preferable home has been identified, the care provider will typically make a needs-based assessment, allowing them to ensure that they are able to meet your needs. As fees can vary from provider to provider, we always advise that you take time to read through any contract before signing, making sure that you understand precisely what you are paying for.


Council Funding

For those who wish to request funding support, the first step is to speak to your GP and local Social Services department or local authority. This route sees an assessment of care needs being carried out before a home is identified.


Next, the local council will conduct a financial assessment in-line with government regulation, looking at income including pensions and benefits and capital, such as savings, property and investments. As this financial assessment is based on the assumption that you are claiming all the benefits available to you, it is important to make sure that you are.


All of this information will then be used to decide how much you can afford to pay towards care home fees, how much funding the council will contribute, and suggest suitable care homes for you to consider. 


Top-Up Fees and Third-Party Payments

Requesting assistance from the local authority does not prohibit you from choosing a care home other than those suggested to you by them; however you may be expected to find a way to cover any difference in cost. A third-party, typically a family member or friend, can contribute the extra costs, known as a ‘top-up fee’.


If there are no homes in the area that provide suitable care, the local council may be able to subsidise any additional costs for a more appropriate home in another area.


Accessing support

There are various organisations on hand to offer independent advice such as;

  • has a range of information on planning for retirement including information and advice on pensions, tax and benefits and staying active in older age. Visit

  • Age UK is a national charity that offers information, advice and guidance on a range of money matters in later life. Call 0800 169 6565 or visit

  • The Relatives and Residents Association offers support and information to families, friends and residents about issues affecting care homes. Call 020 7359 8136 or visit

  • FirstStop Advice is an independent, free service offering advice and information for older people, their families and carers about housing and care options in later life. Call 0800 377 7070 or visit

  • The Money Advice Service is an independent service, to help people make the most of their money. They give free, unbiased money advice to everyone across the UK online, over the phone and face to face. Call 0300 500 5000 or visit

  • Or speak to your GP, local Social Services department or local council.

bottom of page